WAYS TO GET INVOLVED
- QuERI: In response to the increased violence in schools, QuERI (Quality Enhancement Research Initiative) is creating a "Teach Back" Team of K-12 social justice educators who have experience teaching back to racism, sexism, homophobia, and the constraints of the gender binary in public schools. The aim is to make available their insights and advice for addressing incidents in the classroom or school that disrespect any identity through teaching back and educating students K-12 on inequality, power, privilege, bias, and diversity. If you know a teacher or are a teacher in the NYC area who is doing this work and may want to join us, please contact QueeringEducation@outlook.com.
- Share your story with the Human Rights Campaign.
- Take action with the National LGBTQ Task Force.
- Get involved with the Victory Fund, which helps us to elect members of the LGBT communities into office.
- Join and get involved with the advocacy efforts of Moving Beyond Labels, a nonprofit organization that supports variations in gender identity.
- Volunteer at the Ali Forney Center, an organization that works with LGBT homeless youth. Volunteers can serve meals or mentor and tutor youth. They also accept donations!
- Volunteer at the Anti-Violence Project, an organization that provides crisis intervention, legal services and community organizing for LGBT and HIV-infected people. They need hotline volunteers, assistance during safety nights, and counsel during anti-hate meetings.